Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I need this space.

I need this blog back and I need to write.  I have said it several times before, but I really feel so much better when I can paint my words on this virtual canvas.  I only have a short time before Ellie wakes up, so here is just a quick post.
We are doing well.  We have moved closer to Ben's work and the church we attend.  We joined an amazing homeschool co-op.  My work as an adoption social worker has picked up more and I am seeing more and more forever families be united.  I am finally finishing up my doula certification and moving forward with volunteering with Sufficient Grace Ministries.  Ethan is playing basketball in the city rec league and likes it, but not as much as soccer.  Ellie was diagnosed with a mild developmental delay because she could not get from laying to standing on her own at one year old.  She was referred to a physical therapist and after two sessions, by golly, she got it!  We are going today and hopefully be discharged.  Oh, and one more thing, Ben and I are attending a meeting this week to inquire about possibly being foster parents.  I know, crazy right? 

Well, not crazy, but I have gotten into the groove of our life not being as chaotic as it once was, and I know that with foster care, our pace will pick up again.  It's a little selfish, but on one hand, I don't want to change our lives, but on the other, Ben and I have been feeling this urging for a while, to at least look into it.  I have been meeting more and more foster/adoptive parents and learning more intimately of their joys and struggles.  I have looked over the waiting child lists again and again and my heart is burdened every time.  I have even inquired about a couple of kids, one of which was matched just before my email to the agency.

Some people say they could "never do foster care...love a child and then that child leaves..."  That is not a problem for me.  I mean, don't get me wrong, that will not be easy, but I have grieved before, and you know what, I'm still here.  I love how this foster mom puts it, "I am not afraid to grieve.  I am afraid of what might happen to these children if no one took the risk to love them."  I could go on and on, but that is for another day. I am just happy to be able to have written this much this morning.  Whew. That feels better!

No comments: