Friday, January 8, 2010

For Him

We celebrated my husband's birthday yesterday.  All day I was thinking of ways to make this day special for him.  I found this poem and shared it with him and thought I may pass it along to everyone.  Men grieve so differently than women.  Please take time to ask your hubby how he is doing in his grief journey.  If he doesn't talk much, it is probably not because he is not mourning, he just mourns quietly.

A Daddy's Grief
It must be very difficult
to be a man in grief,
Since men don't cry and men are strong
no tears can bring relief.

It must be very difficult
to stand up to the test
and take the calls and visitors
so she can get some rest.

They always ask if she's all right
and what she's going through,
but seldom take his hand and ask
"My friend, but how are you?"

He hears her crying in the night
and thinks his heart will break.
He dries her tears and comforts her
but stays strong for her sake.
It must be very difficult to start each day anew
and try to be so very brave,
He lost his baby too.


-Author Unknown


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone shared this with me shortly after we loss Madelyn. I showed it to Nathan and he agreed with the poem 100%. Men in grief are ignored so often, probably because they don't show they are hurting.

Allison (Ali) said...

Thank you for sharing this. It is so true.

Anonymous said...

oh Mattie!! This is beautiful....it brought a couple tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

Gottjoy! said...

What a beautiful poem! My husband has told me he is grieving differently. I will show him this poem. Thank you so much for sharing!