Thursday, May 24, 2012

My Mother's Day Blessing

Becoming a mother is one of the best things that ever been blessed with.  And I am so very blessed to have a wonderful Mother and Grandmother in my life. 



Even with those blessings, Mother's Day can be kind of hard with two babies in Heaven, just months from an almost adoption and still aching for that addition to our family.

And I'm not going to sugar coat it...this year has been rough.

But when Mother's Day rolls around, I was excited for a couple different reasons.  One of them was that my brother and his family were coming to visit for the first time since their 2nd child's birth.  Yay! 


(Don't you just love little baby hands?)

It was a beautiful day and I enjoyed the time with the family more than anything.  My Grandma will be 82 this summer and I feel really blessed to still have her in my life.  My brother and his family from Oklahoma was there.  My brother who lives about an hour and a half away drove in and, of course, I'm so thankful for my Momma as well. 


But, the thing that surprised me the most.  That caught me off guard and embarrassed me a little at the same time was what my church did.  We go to a very large church for our area.  Every Mother's Day the Pastor's wife will ask for the mom with the most children to stand and they give her a gift.  Then the mom with the youngest baby, then the oldest mom.  And every year they choose a lady to honor as Mother of the Year. 

This year they called my name.  They asked me to come to the front and they prayed over my family and I.  They prayed over our future children.  Over our adoption.  I had to bite my lip to keep from crying as they shared parts of our story.  A little about our babies in Heaven.  About Samuel, our son for six days, and about our hopes for adding to our family.  They shared about my work with our local crisis pregnancy center and I couldn't help but blush.  I could think of many ways I am NOT mother of the year.  So many awesome mama's in that crowd.  I didn't feel worthy, but I will totally and completely accept those prayers!  


Later that night, Ethan helped my open my gifts and I felt so blessed to be a part of such an awesome, loving church and family!

I hope all the women I know had a blessed day.  Mother's come in all types.  The mentor, the mother-to-be, the mother of 10, the mother of 1, mother without a mother...whatever kind of mother you are, I hope you had a very blessed day.


1 comment:

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Love that they honored you on Mother's Day, sweet friend. Beautiful! You are a beautiful mother.