Wednesday, August 15, 2012

First Day of Kindergarten!

IMG_2953

 

That’s right!  We started our first day of school last week and boy are we having fun!  I am absolutely way to emotional over having the ability to homeschool and be with this adorable face everyday!

 

firstday ethan

 

We eased into school since we hadn’t done a lot over the summer.  We started our first week studying, what else but THE first week.  We had a week full of creation studies and crafts and back to basics.  We reviewed things he learned last year and started a new memory verse. 

 

IMG_2958e

 

Something I have quickly learned is that his least favorite thing to do is handwriting.  He loves crafts, mazes, anything science related, he LOVES math and reading.  But when it comes to just practicing writing, he just really doesn’t like it.  But he does it.  And I am open to any suggestions on how to make it not so burdensome for him Winking smile

 

IMG_2959e

 

I can’t wait to let finish up a post our week studying creation! He had so much fun and he tells me at least two or three times a week how happy he is that I can homeschool him.  But, the biggest blessing is when he carries around a chapter book just because he wants me to read to him.  Or if he comes to me at 7:30 at night and asks if he can “do more school”.  Actually, I believe the best part is to have him randomly look up from his lunch and say, “I love you so much Mommy.  I’m so glad we get to spend the day together.”  Tears.  I mean wow. 

 

I was in college full-time until Ethan was one year old.  Then I worked full time for three years.  Getting that pink slip was perhaps the best thing that has ever happened to me as a parent.  It forced us to take a leap of faith we were scared to take on our own.  I still am one of the Directors of the local crisis pregnancy center and put in about 12 hours a week there now.  I also work as an adoption social worker, but that is completely on my own schedule.  I love being able to answer Ethan’s daily question of “What are we doing today, Mommy?”  with a, “We are spending the whole day together, Bub!” and then hear his squeals of delight and feel the extra tight hug around my neck. 

 

I have heard how parents can get emotional when their child starts Kindergarten.  I had always assumed I would be crying on that day.  Boy, I was right, but for  a whole different reason than I imagined 5 years ago…

1 comment:

Sherry Reese said...

That's so wonderful, Mattie! I am glad your leap of faith is paying off, and you are spending special time with your little man. After what you have been through, you deserve it! I love your classroom...I don't know if I could do homeschooling, but I WANT a classroom like that in my house for sure! ;-)