Thursday, October 1, 2009

The first.

Today I decided to start this blog.  I have wanted to share the story of my family, but really haven't known where to begin.  Until today.  October 1.  One month ago today, I was preparing to deliver my baby girl, Shyla Joy.  This should have been a day of happiness, but instead grief was the main emotion.  On August 31st, we found out that Shyla's heart had unexpectedly stopped beating at 28 weeks gestation.  September 1st I saw my doctor and scheduled a c-section for the next day.  I wont go into all of the details tonight, but I will tell the whole story soon.  I just needed to start writing, today.  The first.  
I think is it important that I begin the first post to this blog by saying that first and formost God has been my Joy and my strength through my entire life, but never have I felt the Lord's peace and love as I have over the past month.  Everything that has helped me (and my family) has been a precious gift from the Lord that I will hold and treasure in my heart as Mary treasured all of the wonderful things that she experienced through her pregnancy and during her son's life.
The title of this blog, Creative Joy, is the meaning of Shyla's name.  Shyla meaning creative and of course Joy.  My husband and I decided from the beginning that we were going to use our daughter's death to help reach out and minister to other parents during their time of loss.  I hope this blog will be used to inspire the spread of creative joy.  Not just during times of loss, but in all areas of life.
Over the course of this blog, I will share Shyla's story, how creativity is such an important part of healing (at least for me), and hopefully share ways to inspire kindness and joy.  A social worker by profession, sharing resources is an important part of who I am, so expect to see resources posted now and then.
Tomorrow is the 2nd.  I pray that the 2nd is a peaceful day full of creative joy.    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First let me say how sorry I am for the loss of your precious daughter.

I have found blogging to help me in several ways. I started as a way to keep people informed after my pregnancy turned high risk. Then, after we lost Madelyn, I decided to continue. For one thing, it's a bit like journaling to me which is therapeutic. I see it as my letter to Madelyn. But I, like you, also wanted to use it somehow to help others. I pray God gives us both the words to do this.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for sharing in Madelyn's story. It means a lot to me to share her with others.

We actually played "With Hope" at Madelyn's memorial service. However, I hadn't heard "Glory Baby". I read the lyrics, and it's a great song.

Lots of hugs and prayers coming your way...